Monday, July 19, 2021

Rough Shore, sand dunes, waves, mixed media




"Rough Shore"
"...in this world you will have trouble... Take heart,
 I have overcome the world!" 
 (Jesus) John 16:33



 Learned how hard it is to undo things that have been adhered to with acrylic modeling paste while I was working on this painting (off and on for the last couple of years)!  It certainly is difficult to change my mind once it has dried.  (This was one of my early experiments with mixed media.)

 I started it just before I closed my gallery and teaching center because of the pandemic.  Worked on it several times, but I struggled to resolve the texture issues that are left behind when you remove items that aren't working.

I wanted to contrast smooth areas (created with a brush) with thick areas (built up with a palette knife).  I was after the effect of waves crashing against rocks near the shore.  This proved to be quite a mess at first.  Needed to resolve texture issues and correct the size and placement of waves coming onto the shore. Finally found the effect I was after.

Then I got to have some fun! Added sea glass, beads, shells, and aquarium stones. Rearranged them several times before deciding on exactly where to place them.
I framed it in this lovely textured frame, which complements the whole effect I was trying for.  

  • Original Art
  • Mixed media on hardboard
  • Professional materials
  • 11 x 14 inches
  • Textured custom frame (see below)
  • SOLD
Email me if you are interested in something similar! Custom orders are priced by size.
fawn@fawnsartstudio.com






Thanks for looking!

 

No comments: