Monday, September 10, 2007

Sandhill Cranes, Impressionism birds, wildlife

"Sandhill Cranes"
8 x 10 inches
acrylic on hardboard
Sold

These birds mate for life, and around here you see the same pair raise their two chicks in the same area every year. Usually one of the chicks will not survive. The young sandhills will stay with their parents for a year or so.
This family stays near the big lake. The last time I painted a scene at the lake, they came very close and sang up a storm! They have bright red tufts on the top of their head, and they have a beautiful ruffle of feathers on their rump. I took some great photos -- this is painted from those photos.
Sometimes Sandhills are very brownish gray, and sometimes they are a very light bluish grey.
I have seen them in large flocks of more than a hundred birds! I guess that is when they are migrating.

Click here to see my gallery pages!

Email me at: fmcneillbarr@gmail.com for availability and/or information about having your own custom painting created. 


Click here to see what others say about my work!


No comments: