Thursday, April 28, 2022

Serene Beach, shoreline, accent table, solid wood furniture



"Serene Beach"
© Fawn McNeill 2022
 

This is my first piece of furniture.  I started it two years ago!  I was working on it just before COVID shut everything down and I had to close my gallery.  Most everything has been in storage since.  

Lately, we've been remodeling, and I've been cleaning things out.  It has been good to finish up some older projects.

Originally I did a practice painting ("Invitational") on a canvas after ordering the table. Wanted to figure out how to make the woodgrain appear to be sand under the transparent water and to gain some confidence that I wouldn't add too much paint and lose the woodgrain.  It took a few tries to get the effect I wanted.  (See below.)

I left more sandy areas on this painting because I loved the wood grain showing through.  It required thin layers of paint, so I used a matte medium instead of water to make the paint transparent. I also added more seafoam than on the practice painting.  Just got carried away.  

I used a semi-gloss finish, sanding between each coat with fine-grade sandpaper. Five coats of finish! It made a beautiful hard surface that should not scratch easily.

  • One-of-a-kind, hand-made original.
  • Acrylic painting on a custom-made table.
  • Solid wood accent table (a little taller than a coffee table).
  • 5 coats of clear sealer.
  • 22W x 40L x 21 H inches.
  • SOLD

"Invitational" 
© Fawn McNeill 2020
Acrylic on canvas
12 x 24 inches
Sold


No comments: