Saturday, January 29, 2022

Sanderlings, shore birds


 "Sanderlings"
© Fawn McNeill 2004

Drip, drip drip. Spritz the paint, tip the painting back to slow the runs, and watch the colors bleed into each other.  Way too cool.

Fun memories! Just pulled this large painting out of storage.  It is part of a 'drippy' series I did years ago.  I believe I did 10 in this style.  The paint is harder to control and similar to watercolors, but on canvas it spreads differently.  The goal is to create an abstract background and then add realism with thick paint and details over the top. This gives it more contrast in transparency against the opaqueness. 

When acrylics are thinned with water instead of with a gloss or matte medium, it is not as permanent and can be easily damaged even after it is dry. Using thin runny paint actually jeopardizes the integrity of acrylics. So I sealed it when I was finished with a few layers of semi-gloss medium and varnish to protect it. (I prefer using professional grade paints and mediums.) Once sealed, the integrity of the painting is restored.  It can be cleaned with a damp cloth if needed without lifting off any of the color.

Acrylic on canvas
24 x 30 in
Thin custom wood frame (see below)
$1,500.00 plus shipping


Please email me at: fawn@fawnsartstudio.com for availability 



No comments: